Sunday, June 22, 2008

Buenos Aires June 13-16, 2008

My last day of school was June 12th and I flew to Buenos Aires the following day where I met up with Maya and Terra. They had already been there for a few days and had rented a furnished apartment in a neighborhood called Recoleta. Buenos Aires is a huge city with a population of over 10 million people. It has a very European influence.....lots of really cool old buildings, cafes, artisans, markets, and tango. The wine and steaks are amazing and cheap. I fell in love with this city immediately and wished that I had more time to explore.
Here is some more information for the interested:
Buenos Aires Information


So, I knew that it was winter in Argentina and had carefully checked the weather reports which said about 60 degrees. That didn't sound too bad to me, but it turned out to be very windy which made it feel a lot colder. I immediately bought new gloves, a hat and scarf which I wore permanently for the rest of the trip. BRRRR! It was cold!

Our apartment


On my first night in Buenos Aires we went to a really cool bar that was an old mansion. Check out Maya's blog for a link to the bar called Milion and also lots of other great pictures of our trip. Start with the archive "Jen's here" to see the link and more pix.
terramaya blog





Floralis Generica in Plaza Naciones Unidas, Recoleta
opens its metallic petals every morning and closes them again at dusk
we spent a lot of time trying the wonderful red wine in many unique and fun cafes


This is an area of town called La Boca. There were a lot of brightly painted buildings, cafes, tango dancers in the streets, artisans selling all kinds of stuff and fun statues and paintings. It is an older part of town and a fun place to spend the day






Puente de la Mujer (Women's Bridge) in Puerto Madero:

We went to the Recoleta Cemetery where Evita is buried. This was like nothing I have ever seen before. It is a maze of narrow streets that goes on and on lined with elaborate mausoleums. Many of them had windows so you could actually see the coffins. Very interesting place.
Recoleta Cemetery





Casa Rosada (like the white house) in Plaza de Mayo

more government buildings surrounding
Plaza deMayo







Cheers to Buenos Aires.
Thanks for a great time
I hope to return!

one last link...thanks again to Maya I have now learned how to save my pictures on flickr and link them so that you can view all of my photos if you would like to see more. Let's see if it works:
more pix