Thursday, December 13, 2007

Christmas in Colombia


It is here and it is big! The holiday season is upon us. And if you were worried that I might not be feeling the Christmas spirit in Colombia, worry not! They are so into the decorations, lights and all kinds of interesting decor. It seems really weird to me for many reasons:

1. It is hot outside and I am in the tropics
2. It is so over the top with lights and so amazingly CHEESY!!!
3. I didn't really think Santa made it to South America
4. There is absolutely no sign of Hanukkah..anywhere...sorry!!
5.It really isn't Christmas without friends and family!!


The tree in front of the office at my school



And the Nativity Scenes...at school!!!
I am not in California any more....

and the most bizarre of it all is the bigger than life scene on the lawn at school
Jesus? Joseph? Mary?Angels? That is what they tell me
but I am not sure.....
Very Bizarre!
Click on these pix to see it life size.....scary!!!!









Santa hanging for dear life on the side of buildings

My apartment building
In the lobby......it is about 20 feet tall!!!




some of the other things I see while walking around town...





So, my favorite of all is the lights at the river. It is hard to explain and these pictures don't do it justice. There is a river that runs through the center of Medellin. It is a big river,at least 50 feet across. For Christmas the city puts up all of these lights running across the river right above it and then higher up. Then it is lined with trees and other decor on either side. It goes on for about a mile. It is a major attraction with lots of crowds. There is vendors, music etc on the street. People come from all over the country to see it. I have never seen anything that compares...... Here are a few pictures