Saturday, November 17, 2007

Halloween

These are pictures of my students on Halloween. Yes, one girl is dressed up as a "girl from the Caribbean". I was shocked when I saw her, but they have very different ideas as to what is appropriate here and it doesn't seem to be meant as offensive.
Halloween is very popular here and celebrated a lot like in the states. We had a carnival at school with a haunted house, candy and games. All of the students dressed up and the teachers were encouraged to get costumes as well. I rented a mariposa costume.
The weekend after Halloween I also went out in costume. A group of us from school rented a bus and went out to a club. Everyone was in costume. There was a lot of dancing, drinking and contests etc. It was a fun night. I didn't bring my camera, but I know a lot of people did. So if I get some pictures I will post them.